HOBO POUCH - Campfire Cooking
A quick and easy meal to prepare while camping is a “HOBO Pouch”. It involves few ingredients, but is filling and packed with flavor. It’s also a kids favorite that they can cook. Just chop, throw in the pouch and toss on the fire. It’s low maintenece, so it’s the perfect time to set up camp or gather firewood while its cooking.
- Smoked Sausage ( 16oz.)
- 4 Garlic cloves (minced)
- One Yellow Onion
- One Package of Red Potatoes
- Olive Oil (1 Tablespoon) or 1/2 Stick of Butter
- Cajun Seasoning ( 1 Tablespoon)
- Aluminum Foil
- Start your campfire and allow a bed of coals to form while prepping.
- Using the aluminum foil create a bowl the can later be sealed to keep in steam. You may need to use two pieces of foil to make it large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Chop onion and place in foil pouch.
- Mince garlic and toss in
- Slice sausage in your preferred size and place in pouch.
- Halve or quarter potatoes and add to mixture. The potatoes take the longest to cook, so cutting into quarters will take the shortest amount of cooking time.
- Add in olive oil and cajun seasoning, then toss mixture till well coated.
- Seal foil pouch and ensure that there are no leaks.
- Place directly on grill grate over hot coals and cook.
- After 30 minutes, open and check potatoes for tenderness. Depending on how hot your fire is, you may need to reseal and cook a little longer untill desired texture. Feel free to slide puch over and grill more rightalong side your HOBO Pouch.
- When done open up and munch away!
OPTIONAL: Try adding shrimp or some of your other favorites.